Saturday, April 16, 2011

Wedding Wishes

This afternoon I was going through all the wedding cards Trent and I received. There are some really nice cards out there - and some incredibly cheesy ones. But I secretly love them all. Of all the kind words and best wishes, all were great, about 75% generic (like, "You rock! Never change! Have a great summer!" yearbook signatures), but about 2% were priceless.

What makes a wedding card message priceless, you may ask?

One card read, "Cathy you're so lucky. I wish I was you."

Another had some great advice from an unlikely source:
"When you're mad at each other don't fight. Dance, it's equally as tiring but way funner and better for your relationship. Have a lot of kids. I babysit."

Finally, I had to unroll a swath of paper towel for this little sweetheart, admittedly skeptical and confused, but I laughed out loud when I read it. Priceless.

"Cathy and Trent,
Congratulations!

Jen had some great advice to give, and then had to leave to change a diaper, handed this to me and told me to give some words of wisdom. So here's some for Trent:
- Always do what your wife asks and thrusts at you, especially when she's leaving to deal with poop.
- Offer to change the diapers once in a while, and then she can write the paper towel wedding card, cuz sometimes poop is pretty straightforward.

For Cathy:
- Sometimes poop isn't always straightforward. Always pack extra clothes once you start having kids.
- Keep reminding your husband about what he's learned being married to you so he's always ready to write a paper towel wedding card.

For you both:
- Share each others loads (the cards, diapers, housework and all other personal and marriage struggles)
- Keep acting like you just fell in love and you always will have.
- Get ready for hard work and good times. Hope you both like rollercoasters, as you're sure to have many moments of terror and excitement ahead of you. Enjoy your lives together, and showing off your future children's shiny teeth."

So good. I couldn't help but share these well-wisher's ingenuity.

I'm glad I went through the cards. I confess most are now going in the garbage, and for some I do feel really bad that Trent and I didn't send out thank you cards. But it was worth keeping them until now so I could relive some of the happiness, love... and comedy of our wedding day.

1 comment:

  1. I love that one..."Keep acting like you just fell in love and you always will have"
    Thats simple gold.

    ReplyDelete