Sunday, May 6, 2012

My new thing

I want a bow. Not a pretty pink one you tie in your hair. No. Be serious. One you shoot an arrow with!

Trent has a wicked bow and has been busting it out practicing a  bunch lately and I've been remembering how much I used to LOVE archery in my YW's days. And ever since a couple weeks ago when I made a comment to Trent's mom about how I'd love to have my own bow to shoot (while we were watching Trent shoot his), I haven't been able to get the idea out of my head.

Here comes my embarrassing story of the week, though. Trent and I went out yesterday, just to run errands and check stuff out here and there and we ended up in a hunting/fishing/outdoorsy store. We needed more 22 bullets because I love shooting the 22 and tend to go through a lot when we go out... Well you can see where this is going, we wandered over to the bow counter to check things out. Trent asks if they have anything that would fit me and what do they pull down? A little pink bow. Call me crazy, but I kind of don't like when people hand me pink things just because I'm a girl, maybe especially hunting stuff. Maybe because I've never been a pink girl, maybe if it was purple or any other colour, I wouldn't sniff at it. But like previously stated, I don't want a pretty pink bow. Anyways, they pull the pink one and a much cooler, more hardcore, and let's be honest {better} bow down. They tell us all about them and then give me the good bow to try pulling to see if I can. I can't. I'm sure it looked like I wasn't even trying. It's like doing a crunch/sit-up, you crunch until you hit that point when no matter how long you sit in that position, you're not going any further. Well I pulled with all my might, and that string just stopped and wasn't going anywhere. I vaguely remember the boys across the counter and Trent saying things to coach me on how to pull and that I might have to really push/pull hard to get it. Thanks team, it's still not happening. So they unwind the weight as much as they can so I can pull it. Except I still can't. That's awkward. I'm pretty sure this bow is as beginner as you can get. But wait, there's the pink bow. It goes down in weight a little more than the cool bow. Go figure. Luckily lil pink is a lefty so they have to grab it's brother - the exact same, but camo and righty. They crank him down and hand him over. Oh hallelujah, I can pull it! That would have actually been embarrassing. The boys tell me we can get this righty one in pink, too if I'd like. I wouldn't like.

Good news is we can buy a bow that I can pull and it doesn't have to be pink. The bad news is the weight I'm at right now is 10lbs below hunting regulation so I couldn't actually go out and hunt with Trent if I wanted.

Good news is we don't even have to buy a new bow for me. Because the bad news is I can use the bow Trent got when he was 12. Awkward.

Good news is, the boys at the counter say I should be up to 40lbs (regulation, and strong enough to get the super cool, good bow) within a month or two of solid practice at 30lbs. Bad news is we don't know if Trent's little bow will actually go that low.

Robbie and Bailey picked it up for us this weekend in Raymond and are bringing it back, so fingers crossed that I can use it! If not, I'm officially remotivated to hit the gym again. It's been too long a stint away. I really want a bow! Even after my humiliating efforts at the store, it just made me more excited to get Trent's! Once they got it to a weight I could pull... I love that feeling. I forgot about that feeling. I want a bow!

No comments:

Post a Comment