Monday, July 11, 2011

Nieces

I got to spend another few days with family last week before I had to come back to work this week - only 3 more weeks! I yi yi, I just need these three weeks to fly by.

On my way to southern AB I stopped outside of Drumheller to visit Trent's brother Kurt and his wife Meg, and their two girls, Tate and Mani. They're the sweetest little girls... I dubbed them sugar and spice while I was there, though they both have a little of each. Tate has brown hair and big brown eyes and more olive skin, while Mani has blonde hair, blue eyes, and fair skin - hence the sugar and spice. And I would say Tate is a little more spice and Mani is a little more sugar currently - but Meg laughed and ensured me Mani has enough spice in her too, and Tate loves everything and everyone which is pretty sweet. We just played outside and fed the goats and ate freezies and had a good day. It was sunny and hot and wonderful. I love playing with those girls.

Then I carried on to Lethbridge and found out that we'd be babysitting my niece, Riley, for the weekend. I was actually so excited because I don't think I've seen that girl since Trent and I got married (which was already 7 months ago!). She's already 4 1/2 and going to kindergarten this fall, which is crazy to me in my head. I can still see sumo baby, and the toddler that called me "an guppies" (her attempt at Aunt Cathy). She's all grown up now, but still calls me auntie guppy sometimes because that's what Mark calls me - and probably always will.

Riley is hilarious and just has that little kid imagination down to a T. I stubbed my toe and she's immediately playing doctor, and making me lie down because I had a "twist ankle". She proceeded to pull out her doctor kit and check my temperature and says, "Last year your temperature was little, but I'm sorry, your temperature is very big now." Then she checks my blood pressure, "Auntie Cathy, your blood plessure is on the roof!" I moan and say "Oh man!" and she says, "I know, I don't know what to say either, I'm sorry, but you are very sick." She checks some other things and then looks at me gravely and says, "Auntie Cathy, you are very sick, you have swallowed a radio!" Where do kids come up with this stuff?! Oh it was a good time. She was a very demanding doctor though. She told me I would have to stay in bed for 42 years. That must have been one big radio. Not gonna lie though, I am so not ready for a 4 year old, that girl is exhausting, and needs a sibling to play with. But she loves her aunt guppy and I love it.

There was plenty more lounging in kiddie pools, reading my book, and visiting with a little bit older family. Including a trip with Trent's mom and sister Kanzi, who's getting married at the end of the month and moving into her first house, so we went to look at kitchen cupboards and countertops and appliances. It was a good time. And plenty of card games and visiting and exercising with people. All good.

PS. I still love my ook. And maybe this week will be the week I get a pic of me with it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment