Sunday, September 18, 2011

New Things Are Nice

I like to go shopping. I like to go shopping a lot. If I knew how to label and link stuff, this is where I'd redirect you to my earlier post about budgetting and working in the mall and my love of shopping and how the 3 combine like oil and water. My life is an emulsion.

Yesterday I had the day to myself. Trent had a mouthguard clinic all day so I was left to my own devices. I started out strong. Made a to do list, and started in on it. I booked an eye exam - because when I tore a piece of my cornea a couple weeks ago, the optometrist highly recommended it; I booked a doctor's appointment; I loaded and started the dishwasher; I washed our bedding; I did some research online into workout clothing and scrubs - two things I need more of. And that's where I started to go downhill...

Working 5 days a week, you get really tired of your scrub selection after a while.
Working out 5 days a week, you need more than one work out outfit after a while.

Looking in my closet, sure, I have plenty of scrubs, but I haven't bought any new scrubs in over a year. And think about how often you do, or want to, replace the clothes you wear every day. This is like me not buying a new shirt or pair of jeans in over a year. So I'm restless for new options.

As for workout clothes - I may have worn the exact same thing to the gym every day last week. I did do laundry mid-week, but still. I'm sure the gym people are disgusted. Because gym people are creatures of habit, and whether we ever speak or not, we know each other by sight and by nickname. (At least I assume everyone else nicknames people in their head.) But I fear that I've already earned the nickname of no-change-green-shirt-girl. I know I have plenty of cotton sports t-shirts that would provide enough variety to rock a different shirt every day for a month, but last year I bought a lulu lemon running T with a gift card my work gave me and now I can't run in anything else. This shirt has spoiled me. It wicks moisture away, is super lightweight and comfy, it's anti-stink (thank goodness since it's all I wear), and I simply like it best. Those over-sized cotton T's just can't compare, and are awful when drenched. So thus I looked into getting a few more options.

My first stop was for scrubs. I've never been to the scrub store here. And I say THE scrub store because apparently there's only really one place to go, and the selection is actually incredible. They have rows and rows of scrubs of every brand, print, style, colour, and size. I secretly love looking at scrubs. Bonnie, Hayley, and I had a blast our first scrub shopping trip and maybe that's why I've always loved it. And I have Alaya to thank for my success and comfort now. She introduced me to NRG scrubs. These are the most comfortable scrubs you'll ever put on. Silk on your legs, lightweight on your body, and so cute. I may have spent more than I had told myself I would, but I picked up 3 tops and 2 pairs of pants and I think it was well worth it.

I'm actually excited to wear them to work next week.

Next stop: workout clothes. At this point, I'm still feeling good about my shopping because it's for "necessities". But Superstore almost ruined me. I stopped there to check out their workout section, because it's cheap, but they had nothing much today. Unfortunately they do have some really cute clothes and a wall of cardis in every colour you could possibly want, and I possibly want every colour. I held strong though. I didn't buy a single cardi or t-shirt - and I had already caved to the point of trying some things on so to walk out with nothing, that's self control. I checked out the running store and the outdoor store to see what they had for workout stuff before I went to lulu, but alas it was slim picking and unimpressive so to lulu I went. I only bought one top, because let's face it lulu is wicked expensive, but at least I can be the green-OR-purple-shirt-girl now. By this point I was talking to Michelle on the phone and managed to actually try on two tops without putting the phone down once. Mad skills.

Here's where the real cave comes. The mall is across the street, so I wander that way, only a bad connection on my cell to michelle, gets me back out quickly and safely. But one of my secret favourite stores is also close by and someone had way over-paid the meter before me. So I wander into Tonic. Whenever I go past this store, the manequins are always so fabulously dressed. I adore the look of this store. It's a boutique, but artsy-trendy and cute and I love it. I need a shopping friend. Melissa and Michelle are my usual accomplices, but they are both far away and I greatly dislike it. Now I have to take pics on my phone in the change room and send them to one of them to get their input. Totally takes away most of the charm. But I just like their opinions. And trust them. So here's what I tried on yesterday... (changeroom phone pics are never very good...)


I wasn't in love with the first one on me, but the second I adored. It may be an old lady floral print with a gold clasp belt, but it's awesome. Sometimes I like odd things. So after e-mailing Michelle pic 2 and discussing and debating in my mind I go for the splurge - because it isn't cheap. But when I get to the cashier and she rings it in and tells me the price I choke, I hesitate, I stammer, and the girl looks at me and says, maybe you should put it on hold and think about it? Yes, hold it, yes please, that's a good idea.

When I get home however and start skyping with michelle and my mom - I just want this dress. I just think there's something kind of trendy, but old, but unique, but awesome about this dress. And it fit perfectly. So after an hour of skype I look at the time and decide I have to go buy the dress. I have to say, I'm quite happy I did. I wore it to church today with my hair curled and my black ankle boots and I loved it. No buyers remorse for this girl.

So as it turns out, I have expensive taste. I buy expensive scrubs, expensive workout clothes, and expensive dresses. But I can't say I regret a single purchase from yesterday. I'm a little sad I had to dip so much into my tax rebate money (Trent and I reserved a portion for each of us to spend as we please), but I think it will make the future much more friendly. I mean I covered my bases for the three things that occupy the majority of my time - work, exercise, and church. Good day.

Funny thing is the day doesn't even end there, but this post is already SO long. Trent came home finally and we went out to Fudruckers with a couple friends - one of them being Cody Pollock, our long lost friend. Love that guy. I'd never been to Fud's, but the burgers and fries are outrageous good. Then the three of us left the other two couples and went to celebrate one of Trent and Cody's dental friend's and former roommate's birthday. Pool Party! It was a good time, though I wasn't really feeling like rocking a swimsuit after a giant burger and fries. But I sucked it up (and in). A bunch of people came out and there was plenty of pool dodgeball and baseball fun for all. Trent's dental friends are a lot of fun. And birthday treats are always good too.

At the beginning of the day I have to admit I was a little skeptical of what kind of day I was going to have, but I should never doubt the good time I can have.

Cheers!

PS. I really really really need to find my camera. I miss it. My blog posts are dismal without it. Sorry.



1 comment:

  1. That dress is FABULOUS. I may have to come to Sask to go to that store! Cute buy!

    ReplyDelete