Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I need a job.

Last week was my first week of reduced hours. Which means I had Thursday and Friday off. You know what happens when I have spare time? Baking.

I love baking. But that means I then eat baking. Which is soon going to be detrimental to my goal that I'm only finally beginning to see results from. I almost died doing cardio today just trying to burn enough calories to make up for the following...

What do you get when you put these two things together?

Only the most delicious, gooey cookies you've ever eaten!

For real, these cookies are just so dang good. My mouth is watering just thinking about the second batch I just pulled out of the oven. I forgot how big of batch this recipe makes... which means I still have more batter left even after cooking a couple dozen Friday AND today. I'm going to have to send the last dozen's worth of batter to my freezer. I just can't have any more of these scrumptious devils sitting on my counter.

And that's not even where I stopped.

Ever since Trent and I made scones with the Wests a couple weeks ago, it got me wanting to make proper scones. You see, "scones" as most of us know them, are deep-fried to golden perfection and my favourite when served with honey butter melting over them. I grew up making these with my mom, shaking them in paper bags filled with cinnamon and sugar. When we decided to make scones, I decided to google to see how other recipes look. I'm pretty sure we just used bread dough for our scone parties in Edmonton (which we epic and I miss them), but I wanted to see what the world of google had to say. As it turns out, deep-fried scones are better known to google as "mormon" or "Utah" scones. Funny right? Figures.

But upon my googling, I innitially discovered a lot of good looking "Real" scone recipes. You know, the more British type - proper. Baked. So once I made a bunch of cookies, I decided I'd switch gears to something that felt a little - a little - more healthy. And I am so happy I did, check out my first real scones!

Mmmmm. Sorry, I ate two before I stopped to take a pic.
They're that good.

They're pretty straightforward, too. Pretty much my mom's biscuits, but sweeter. I'm excited to start throwing in raisins or craisins or orange zest now. I wanted to find a good base recipe before I started goofing around, but now the skies the limit!

Oh love handles... how I thought we were going to say goodbye... I need a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment