Friday, March 16, 2012

Hola Grandpa!

I want a Spanish grandpa. I had an elderly patient the other day, but not just any old patient. This patient is from El Salvador and awesome.

From the second I called his name in the waiting room, he gave me a big crinkly eyed smile and I loved him. I started with my usual, "Hi, my name is Cathy, I did your cleaning in September, if you remember me?" He looks at me and says, "Cad-ty, of course I remember you. You are - unforgettable." Loves him.

He's been here since the 70's, but his English is still not so good. He has to remind me to speak slowly so he knows what I'm saying. So we spent the appointment laughing and talking. I shared my minimal spanish and he said it was muy bien. At the end of the appointment he said something in Spanish, when I asked him what that meant, he said, "Your hands are like silk. They are beautiful at their job." "Muchos gracias!" "Ahhh! De nada, de nada!" Loves him.

Spanish men are known to be full of flattery. I love it. I want him to be my grandpa. There's something to be said for being positive. He was such a happy man. I love him. He's probably one of the only patients I am genuinely sad I will not be seeing in six months. I have a lot of great patients, don't get me wrong, but this man is a gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment