Friday, April 20, 2012

Moments I love about my job

That moment when I spend an hour talking quantum physics and 90's cartoons with a 17 year old boy with a voice as deep as a 40 year old, and get a thumbs up and "That was fun!" in the end.

That moment when I get to reminisce and discuss highschool rugby with a 26 year old patient that gets it.

That moment when I see a patient that only comes to the dentist every 4 years, and while working he tells me it feels so good and he loves coming to this office - than why do you only come every 4 years? Oh the irony.

That moment when my patient tells me she couldn't brush her teeth for a year because she was pregnant.

That moment when my patient tries to show me all of his tattoos.

That moment when my patient hasn't had x-rays in 2 years because they're so harmful, but I convince him it really would be a good idea to check things now, only to find a MASSIVE cavity that wouldn't have been found without the x-ray. Boom.

That moment when my patient tells me he only brushes the outside of his teeth because he figures his tongue cleans the inside.

That moment when my patient has the starts of ten cavities in between her teeth and she realizes she should probably start flossing.

That moment when my patient tells me she swishes with water after she eats to clean her teeth so she doesn't have to brush.

That moment when my patient tells me her tooth was broken and hurting so she took a few advil and pulled it out with pliers.

That moment when my patient says he uses toothpicks instead of floss.

That moment when my 4 year old patient throws up trying to take the first x-ray, takes a minute, then carries on like a champ, gets his x-rays done and lets me clean and check his teeth without a single complaint.

That moment when my patient tells me I'm a real head-turner.

That moment when my patient says they'll only come back if I'm the one doing their cleaning.

That moment when this can all happen in one week.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I did not expect that ending. That is unreal. Quite the week C.Bevans. People have some interesting theories on teeth cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm commenting twice because I'm so glad you don't have that word verification thing when I comment... commenting on your blog is NICE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what a week! we haven't been to the dentist for so long...I'm scared mostly because I can relate the the pregnant non-brushing girl. toothbrush=gag! ..but why a year?

    ReplyDelete