Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Indian Givers and Bruises

Continued as promised.

We're home, and I'm right back into the swing of things, right back to work. Back to that glorious job I got at such an opportune time in such an opportune way and seemed so serendipitous and perfect. While at work that first day, I decided to flip through the schedule in between patients. In flipping I realized a couple things:

1) When I told the hygiene coordinator that I would rather start Friday at 7am, same as every day, rather than 8am, she proceeded to simply add another patient to my day. So I am now working 9 hour days, 5 days a week. Seriously?

2) So I started clicking week by week on Fridays, just to see when I might be able to intervene and get the 3pm pt taken off without having to reschedule anyone. Which is when I realized that Oct 14 is the last Friday I work. Ever. Oh that makes sense though because the hygienist on mat leave comes back the next Monday so the girl filling in for her will be done, so why not take over my Fridays so I don't have to work overtime every week. This girl didn't want to be working full time in the first place, but had agreed to take over the full-time mat leave for a year. Makes sense that she'd pick up the couple days available once the mat leave is over. Makes sense.

I carry on working and in between patients next, my boss happens to be around while I'm on the computer so I say hey I have a question for you and she looks at me and all of a sudden is like oh yeah hey I need to talk to you, too. Ok. I turn to the comp and explain how I had just been flipping through the schedule when I noticed that Fridays got taken over? Yeah... That's what I want to talk to you about. Come to my office. Ok.

In her office she proceeds to explain , no explain is the wrong word, explain makes it sound like it makes sense. She proceeds to tell me that while I was on vacation the mat leave hygienist came to her and told her that she would like to keep working full time. Well my boss had no idea she'd even be interested in working full time since she wasn't last time she checked, but hey if she wants full time, then she can just take over my job when mom hygienist returns. What a great idea boss! At least, that's what she said. Nothing personal, she says, mat leave has just been here longer so she has priority. No problem. There might be Mondays and Wednesdays available for me. Maybe. She'll let me know whether or not she wants to give me those days by the end of August. Really? Thanks... There may have been a moment when I said, Ok just making sure what you're saying is come mid August I'll either have Mondays and Wednesdays or no job? Yes. So I should start looking for another job. Yes. Thanks...

I really don't like Indian Givers.

That's all I can say on this matter or I'll lose all professionalism entirely.

And it just keeps getting better... what about the loonie sized bruises, you ask? Well last weekend Trent and I went paintballing with a bunch of people. Enough said? Well I'll go on anyways. It was my first time paintballing. I mean, I've been slingshot paintballing a bunch, but never semi-automatic paintballing. There was only one other girl in our group (from Trent's class) and it was her first time as well, and she kept talking about how nervous she was and how she was probably going to spend the first 30 min hiding and whatnot. So of course I had to show no fear. I couldn't be classified in with this girl. I mean really, hide for the first 30 min? Anyways, game on. It was so much fun. Seriously hot, especially in the overalls and mask, but still so fun. So about the bruises. I don't remember specifically most of the shots, but I keep finding bruises. I do specifically remember a few shots.

Shots to remember:
- Head shot. Right on the noggin. Needless to say, my head's still a little tender to shampoo, and brush, and lay on my left side. Couple advil with that one. Though, Trent too several head shots... so I can't complain about mine too loudly. He's def feeling his.
- Shoulder shot. Serious bruising with that one. Felt that one for a while. It actually blew my skin off. My skin may have already been crumbling as previously noted, but it was still a pretty dramatic looking shot with my skin all blown off around it. Worst part though? It's on my right shoulder. So I can't lay on my right side either.
- Finger shot. No really. Direct hit to my knuckle on my left index finger. At least I only have to hold a mirror with that hand.
And the winner is...
- Hand/wrist shot. Instantaneous searing, throbbing pain. Skin broke, not just blew off, broke. Swelling immediately. Bruising simulatneously. I wanted to cry. But I didn't because I'm the tough girl at paintball. But I wanted to. Don't tell Trent that. At least it was in the final round because I needed ice. And to stop acting tough. Putting gloves on and off a hundred times has not felt good this week. Nor has bending my wrist.

But let's be serious, I love paintballing. And being on Trent's team. At least he's my husband so it seems relatively logical that we'd be on the same team... or else I'd just have to beg because I don't want to play against him haha. I mean... we're a great team. We play well together. We won a lot of the battles. And our team was even 3 vs 4 the whole day. Good day. It's something I could be addicted to. It's that fun.

So it's been a bit of a painful return to my regular life. So bitter sweet. Though speaking of sweet - s'more pierogies are my newest favourite desert. Check this girl's new gourmet pierogies out on facebook at Love At First Bite! or on the website here. Seriously so good. You know I don't blog vouch for things I'm not serious about.

No comments:

Post a Comment