Monday, August 29, 2011

The big four O

I made my office clear my schedule for today so I could take out resumes. So take out resumes I did. And when I do something, I go big or go home. So I emptied my printer's ink cartridge and exhausted my stapler, and started ticking offices off the list. I hope my phone's data use really is unlimited because I lived on my map app all day. As a side note, I seriously don't know how people functioned before the internet. and cell phones. and smart phones. and map apps. Thank you google for revolutionizing life as we know it.

1/3 of a tank in gas, 3 dollars in parking meter change, 6 hours and 40 resumes later, I called it a day. Partially because my jaw was sore from smiling so much, partially because it was 27 degrees and I was melting and wishing I was at the beach, partially because the only offices left to apply at were the farthest away and in the most ghetto areas of town, but mostly because I ran out of resumes and it was after 4 - so most offices were closing or close to. And I was tired.

Let's be serious, I was tired. Today I was a missionary. Nothing but door to door pounding, with a smile on my face while I introduced myself, handed over my resume, and graciously accepted rejection after rejection. No one is looking for a hygienist right now. I hit 40 offices, and not a single one seemed hopeful. Oh they'll hang on to my resume, they say, but they're not looking for anyone right now. Well keep me in mind if anything comes up, I say, I'll be around. You can count on it at this rate.

On a plus side, I got to see a lot of the city today. I feel much more well-rounded as a Saskatooner. Awesome. There's only 10 offices left on my list; my list that has every dental office in Saskatoon on it, organized in geographical groupings for easy and systematic delivery. So perhaps if I don't hear anything back by October 14 (That's D-Day), then maybe I'll really round off my Saskatoon experience and head to the Northwest. Maybe. Trent and I drove through that side of town the other day to get out of town to this sweet beach... and let's just say I might employ the buddy system to take those last 10 resumes out.

Cheers

3 comments:

  1. Oh man...good job and good luck! I hope something comes up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word are was supposed to be in there somewhere... :)

    ReplyDelete