Sunday, July 8, 2012

Happy Birthday Missy

Melissa is a forever friend.
Forever friends are hard to find.
But forever friends come with two inherent qualities that result in two of my favourite things:
They come with loyalty and personality.
Which result in the best memories and the promise of more.

Today is Melissa's birthday. Melissa doesn't like birthdays. I love birthdays. I love Melissa.

And upon visiting her blog today, I ventured upon some of the reasons I love Melissa and was reminded of even more as a result. We've had some great adventures, and I wish I was on a computer that had some pics of those adventures, but perhaps I'll add some in one day. And maybe this post will not be near as funny or endearing to anyone else but us, but here is a little (and not near inclusive) recap of our friendship - and why I love Melissa:

- We met in highschool. I was her little rugby prodigy, she was my idol.
- Sleepovers at her house where she mentored me on how to get the guy and we told stories and secrets. {And then I woke up to her brother and cousin who are my age... Oh hey guys... awkward.}
- I was privy to Melissa's grad lunch with her family. I love her family.
- She went away to university, but I conveniently dated her cousin so we could hang out at family get togethers, and so I could ask her if I could live with her in Edmonton.
- Thus we became roommates. It was a wonderful year.
- She took me in and helped me make friends, and was my workout buddy. One of us always felt like running. Or late night cleaning.
- We abided by our vows of silence when we needed to study, but would talk for hours when friends on.
- Did we compete who went the longest without showering...? Yeah that happened. She won.
- Date night. Sushi. Thai. Valentines Day. Pints of ice cream. Movie rentals. Accidental all night marathons. Oodle Noodle Box. {Please next weekend?!}
- Our banter. Man we have good banter. Even if we were a little competitive ;)
- That one time we drove 10 hours just to go see boys.
- When Melissa helped Bonnie and I study for and write our nutrition final. Now that's friendship.
- Asian dress-up and epic battle at the Wilderman's.
- One time we were dancing and she decided to try and dip me and dropped me on my head instead.
- It's okay, we cuddled later. 3 way. Only we could pull that off. Sorry again for that.
- All of our dress up moments. Like stealing our roommate's clothes to dress like rock stars just to go to Wes's and play rockband with perfectly normal dressed people.
- We made lots of delicious food together.
- Photo opps.
- Melissa is not a hugger, which makes her that much more a better friend for all the hugs and hand holds and shoulders to cry on she gave me freely. This girl is the best pep talker you've ever met. And made me the greatest smile book in the world that still makes me cry every time.
- Strangers love her. Which make for good stories.
- I feel like I don't have to pretend to be anything with her or put any particular foot forward. I'm just me and she's just her and whether we get each other all the time or not, we're still us.
- Now she's a dentist and I'm married and life is different, but it's also the same.
- I get to move to Cold Lake, where her parents live and will be our best friends and I'm sure to see more of Melissa again! {You don't know how excited that makes me}

There are SO many adventures and memories and inside jokes bubbling inside me, but really I just wanted to make sure everyone appreciates today how awesome a person Melissa is! Because today's her birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MELISSA!

Whether you think I'm cheesy or not. I love you THIS MUCH :)

1 comment: