Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fights I Don't Want to Have With My Daughter

1. "No, you must wear something modest to your grandfather's funeral."

I was in a changeroom at Ricki's today (trying on really cute clothes I can't buy), and no word of a lie, listened to this mother-daughter (and middle-man sister) fight about what the daughter was going to wear to her grandfather's funeral. Daughter was ticked because mom wouldn't let her wear a skanky little black dress, and was arguing that mom picked crappy ugly clothes that she'll never wear again and would be a waste of money. And "Dad won't even care what I wear" (when have dads ever not cared when their little girls wear a slutty black dress? Let alone to a funeral). Mom was ticked, "You bet dad will care, before we left he told me to make sure we found something respectful for you to wear." and "You will not wear a revealing dress to your grandfather's funeral." But daughter hated all the dress pants she was brought to try on and voiced her opinion loudly, so mom said, fine if you hate all the pants, wear a dress! But daughter just shot back that mom wouldn't let her wear a dress - Not that dress, you will wear something respectful. There are other dresses. And the three of them just bickered about each other to the other sister, how "she just wants tight, that's all she cares about" and "she just wants me to wear something that makes me look like a jew or catholic."

It was ridiculous. I just wanted to yell from my room, it's your grandfather's funeral for crying out loud, do you have no decency child?! Go to Le Chateau and find some "cool" black pants and suck it up.

I hope I never have to fight with my daughter(s) about what they're wearing to a funeral. Modesty is an issue with teen girls, I get it, but to a funeral?! Spare me.


2. I paid how much to fix your teeth?! You will wear your retainers!

We've had a couple girls come in lately to get another retainer made because she lost hers/the dog ate it (this ain't no homework excuse. Dogs legit love to eat retainers). Both had called ahead of time to find out the cost and make sure she could pay in cash because she didn't want her parents to find out. I laughed out loud.

We also had a girl come in with her mom for a "retainer check", which means we make sure she's wearing her retainers when she's supposed to be, and that the retainers still fit really snug and the teeth aren't moving. So this girl had called for an appointment because her teeth were getting crooked again. Bummer. We bring her in and she admits that she hasn't ever worn her retainers and now they don't fit at all, "Can you make a new retainer to straighten them out again?" ahahahahahahaha I mean, no. We made you the retainers to hold your teeth where they were - straight. We told you, you had to wear them 24/7 until otherwise instructed, so that your teeth would stay straight, because your teeth WILL MOVE right after you get your braces off if you don't wear your retainers. Oh you didn't listen? Bummer. Needless to say, mom was ticked. Thousands of dollars wasted. Only way to fix her teeth? Braces again. Mom was ticked. Daughter was scared for the ride home.

A) Trent and I have really good teeth - I hope our kids can be so blessed. But,
B) Best be believin my kids will wear their retainers if they get them. I will not have this fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment