Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I just pulled a mom...

and won.

Anyone who knows my mom knows she's the sweetest, nicest person you've ever met.
What you may not know is that she can also be one tough mother.

I remember as a teenager watching and hearing my mom deal with "situations". I have no idea why some things still stand out in my mind, but I remember one specific time:
My mom was on the phone trying to straighten out a "situation", I really don't remember what it was, but I remember her saying, "I understand that, and I know that you must say that because it is policy and protocol, but that is simply unacceptable; and if you cannot change anything, then I would like to talk to someone who can." BAM. Now that's a mom.

Last night I went to pay my telus bill online and there were charges on my bill that shouldn't have been. Ticked. So today I called telus to get them to fix it. After the typical call center wait time, Alberto comes on the line to help.

I honestly thought it was a simple mistake that'd have a simple solution. As it turned out, not so much. I imagine Alberto thought I'd gone all Jekyll and Hyde on him because when it looked like nothing was going to be done, I switched from light-hearted, girl-next-door; to serious, no-I'm-not-joking.

There may have been a point when I said, "I understand what you're saying, and I know it's what you have to say, but I am telling you that I do not think that I should have to pay for something that I am already paying to have covered. If you can't do anything, then I would like to talk to someone above you who can do something." BAM. Pulled a mom.

And you know what happened?

He said, "Okay. Will you hold for a moment?"

Then, I waited.

When Alberto came back on the line he said, "Okay I have talked to my co-workers and I have refunded you this as a one time exception."

BAM. I just pulled a mom...

And it worked.

Mom - you're a champ.

Don't say I never listened to you.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha well done! I'll have to show this to mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I showed mom and she said to post from her and say shes proud of you (then she said you made her eyes leak) haha

    ReplyDelete