Sunday, March 13, 2011

If you've spoken to me, you've probably realized that I have some of the weirdest idiosyncracies - and the greatest vocabulary (jokes). One of them being that I like to speak in different languages. And by speak I mean use little sentences and quips of other languages that I've learned.

Well since my Europe trip in the summer, my foreign vocabulary has expanded lovely.

I now catch myself throwin out, danke schoen, muchos gracias, grazie, merci beaucoup, bitte schoen, de nada, and de rien. Whenever I want to say thank you or your welcome - and other randoms like good morning, what time is it, or no thank you. Some people may think it's a show, but I sincerely spent so much time in Europe where I only knew these few words to communicate with, that they are permanently ingrained in my mind.
Danke just comes out without thinking.

So when the delivery guy finished dropping off our order, of course I smiled and said, "muchos gracias, sir!" as he kind of scowled at me and walked out the door. Maybe he was insulted because I threw Spanish out there, the language of many lower class laborers? Maybe he was just confused why a little white girl in Saskatchewan was speaking Spanish. Maybe he doesn't understand Spanish... he does live in Saskatchewan. My bad. Shoulda gone with the French, but then maybe he woulda been insulted because I thought he was metis. Which he wasn't.

Gave the receptionists a good giggle anyways. They think I'm loco.

No comments:

Post a Comment