Friday, May 6, 2011

Craziness Continued

I got a call back! When I got home from work yesterday, Trent tells me a lady recently called and left me a message. I jump on the phone. (I also took a resume out earlier this week, so anyone calling for me has got to be good right now) It's rugby coach 1. I called her back ASAP.

Turns out the women's league she plays for is responsible for coaching 5 of the highschool teams in Saskatoon. Her specific team has 5 coaches already - they just rotate through who's available for every practice and game since they're all busy working or with other commitments. (and as I'm typing this thunderstruck came on a commercial... what are the odds?) Anyways, rugby coach 1 tells me that I'm welcome to join in with all the other coaches as long as I don't mind how many are around. But then she tells me that one of the other teams that her club is responsible for coaching has just one full-time coach for forwards and a part-time coach for backs and she'd pass my info on to her and see if she might be interested in having me come help out with the backs. I make it clear that I'm off work at 3 every day and can be full-time. Obviously I thank her 100 times and say that would be so great at least 26 times.

Then she asks me if I want to play women's league. Of course I do! (as I get so nervous inside at the thought of playing against giant saskatchewan women... I picture an adult version of Vulcan and shudder a little) She says they practice tuesdays and thursdays at 6pm. Definitely doable for me. Oh man, OH MAN! But because of my nervousness inside I say that I won't be around past June so I don't know if they'd want someone that can't commit to the whole season. Of course she has a great response to that, that's okay, We have reduced rates for people that play only half the season. There's always girls that have other commitments and can't play the whole season. Oh, perfect!

I hang up the phone with all sorts of nervous excitement. It's what I've been dying for this year. Just craving to get my hands on some rugby ballage. I'm super excited and optimistic about the potential coaching opportunity, but I'm also super nervous about the potential to play. I love this sport with all my heart, I don't want to let it down. I haven't played since highschool. What if I can't play anymore? What if they're way better than me? I've been so streamlined for scrum half that if they don't need me to play scrum half I don't know how I'll fair out in the field... I'll be lost. But I love it so much. I should seize this opportunity while I can. I can get a new mouthguard at work for free! Oh man, OH MAN!

And it's not even over there. Later that night I check my e-mail and rugby coach 2 has e-mailed me back already! Ahhhhhh! She coaches a team in a town north of the city, they're fairly new, but good and dedicated. She coaches the backs while a former player coaches the forwards, but she would love to have a scrum half to help coach the backs and work with their scrum half! Oh she knew how to stroke my ego. I know and love rugby, but I KNOW and LOVE scrum half. I can ride out to practices with her and all their games are in Saskatoon. Ohhhhh I don't know why but I like this option. Maybe because she really sounds like she wants me, she really wants me! Ha. I realize I haven't heard from the other team, my info was only just passed on last night, and maybe she'd want me too... so many pros and cons. I need more paper, so many pros and cons.

I'm excited. I'm nervous. All kinds of nervous excitement.

I feel like I need to e-mail rugby coach 2 back, though. She responded yesterday, and what kind of person sends someone an e-mail with a specific inquiry and then doesn't check their own e-mail every day? So she'll be expecting to hear from me. And everything in me wants to say I'm in! I'll take it! I'm there! When do I start?! (Tuesday - that's there next practice). AHHHHHHHHHHHH so much on my mind. Do I wait to hear back from rugby coach 3? Do I just go with rugby coach 2 because it makes me so happy and I feel so good about it and nothing about it scares me other than the 1.5 hr drive to practice and same back (those are evenings that Trent will finally be done school and not yet at boot camp for...); and do I play? Even though I'm probably way rusty and will only be around for a month of the season? I can't sleep. (and thunderstruck commercial just came on again - what does it mean?!)

I must be crazy. If I wasn't before, I'm going there now. And loving the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment