Friday, May 20, 2011

the day I rode a horse

It was a big day! Somehow I've made it 23 years of southern alberta raising, with zero horse riding. I've sat on one. I've ridden behind someone briefly. But I have never ridden a horse before. Shameful. Embarassing. Just plain pathetic.

I've had plenty of people in shock and horror upon finding out about my horseback virginity, offer to take me riding sometime. But sometime rarely results in any time. Thus my inexperience has perpetuated.

Until last weekend! Trent came home from his final exam Friday and said, pack a bag, let's go to southern AB now! So we jumped in the car. Upon arrival in Raymond we found out that his family was planning on going out to Trent's sister's fiance's place the next day to ride horses and quad and have a good ol' time. I was pumped. This is it! My chance!

So the next day, Colt pulled out this beauty for me:
Old pony. Good pony. Little pony. Perfect for me! Funny Colt.

Then the real fun began...
Ahahahahahaha

Okay, but seriously... I really did ride my first horse! Actually.
Trent was a nice husband and came with me for my very first ride.
Then he was a not nice husband and said you haven't ridden a horse until you've galloped and proceeded to encourage my horse to go faster and faster. Okay it was sweet, if not slightly unnerving and uncomfortable.
Colt says this horse is bomb proof. He trains horses for a living so I trust him. I would like to return and learn more on this bomb proof horse. I trust it much more than the skittish one that bucked Nikki Byam off in highschool, thus crushing my only other real opportunity to ride a horse.

I feel so accomplished now. There's something about horseback riding that says, "Accomplished." I want cowboy boots.

2 comments:

  1. Can we buy cowboy boots together? I want some too and I've actually been on a horse in Alberta before. I went riding in the mountains down near Waterton, in Mountainview a few summers back. Beeeautiful. I feel like I am more Albertan than you now, but I'm glad you've been cultured :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. must be a Frache thing....I have yet to ride a horse for real too.

    ReplyDelete