Saturday, May 28, 2011

Today I am a first time blood donor! They gave me a sticker that says so.

They also gave me a little key chain charm. Whoot.

I have to admit, I was a little nervous going in. I hadn't fully prepared - I only just found out I was doing it last night. See today is the year mark of the slaughter of 86 Muslims in Pahkistan. So we have a Muslims and Mormons blood drive. Apparently there was a party May 14 to get ready for it but that was the weekend Trent and I skipped town on a whim.

Talking to the Muslims today, apparently this specific denomination of Muslims are to Muslims as Mormons are to Christianity - the others don't think they're Muslim. So they were very persecuted in Pahkistan.

It was kinda cool, we all met at the Mosque and then car-pooled to the Blood Bank. As we drove up, there was a big sign that said thank you Muslims and Mormons for your donations! Kind of cool right?

Going into it, I didn't know what to expect - I've only heard stories. But my iron was totally fine (has to be at least 125 and I was at 148). It was kind of funny though, because the lady that was testing my blood was explaining that it had to be at least 125... with that "we'll see..." tone, and then when my 148 came up she was like, oh you're totally good to go! She was impressed, I could tell - why all the doubt blood clinic lady?

Here's where I admit that I'm actually still a failure though...

Once I'm in the chair and all hooked up and good to go - my blood won't flow. Like it's trickling. 3 nurses are trying to prop the lines, rig them just right to get more flow, they're checking my veins, getting me to keeping pumping a stress ball - nada. It took 15 min - the average time to get the full amount - to get probably half. I was sad. I told them I was more than willing to just keep sitting their, but they decided to pull the plug, er, needle. Sad day. I offered to run laps and try again but they just laughed at me - I was serious. But apparently what I did donate can still be separated and used for plasma and platelets so at least not all is lost.

I still feel like a champ though. I'll totally donate blood again - it really wasn't bad at all. And now I've got baby steps, half this time, ready for full next time.

2 comments:

  1. haha...."they gave me a sticker that says so." I miss you!!! COME FASTER!

    Good on ya though, I cant give blood...I'm usually anemic and I think you have to weigh a certain amount which I didnt last time I was thinking about it. I definitely appreciate people who give blood though, because I used 3 bags of someones last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cute headband too by the looks of it! You dress well for blood donating. Goooo Cathy!

    ReplyDelete